Scientific Research, LLC
Election Forecasting Expert Survey Official Rules
1. ELIGIBILITY: Those who receive an invitation to participate sent by electronic mail are eligible to participate in the survey.
2. TO PARTICIPATE. Complete the survey accessible through the link in your email invitation message. The initial online survey will open on Wednesday, September 3rd and close on Tuesday, September 9th, 2008. The second brief survey will run for seven days during mid- to late October, 2008. You may also participate by communicating with Interdisciplinary Scientific Research (hereafter ISR) during these survey periods by fax at 815-301-8854, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone toll-free at 1-866-527-1146.
ISR is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry of information including, but not limited to, technical malfunctions, human error, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, entry materials that have been tampered with, or survey responses by email, fax, or telephone that are illegible, late, lost, damaged, postage due or misdirected, or entries not otherwise in compliance with these Official Rules. ISR reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this survey if it becomes technically corrupted or if for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infections by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of ISR, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this activity. Limit of one completed survey per respondent. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an online survey, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the email account is registered (if the respondent provides such information). Survey responses become the property of ISR and will not be returned.
3. PRIZES. Winners will be determined on or about November 5, 2008 according to the following procedures. Prizes will also be awarded based on accuracy. The respondent who predicts election outcomes most accurately will win a $100 gift certificate to a major online retailer (Amazon, eBay, or Target) of his or her choice. Other gift certificate prizes will also be awarded according to respondents' prediction accuracy (see below).
|Prediction accuracy rank
|The primary accuracy
score is simply the percentage of election
winners (offices and ballot measures) correctly predicted.
Ties are likely to be common, so ties will be split by a secondary
accuracy score, which is the average (mean) difference between
predicted and actual margins of victory (with lower scores indicating
Winners will be notified by email if participating confidentially. Anonymous respondents who do not supply email addresses are responsible for checking the ISR election forecasting web site to ascertain the amount of their prizes. Respondents alone are responsible for accessing information about prize notification through their own email accounts or the ISR web site. ISR is not responsible if anyone other than the respondent accesses this information or redeems the respondent's prize without the respondent's permission.
Prizes are not transferable and no prize substitution is allowed, except by ISR which reserves the right to award a prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize is unavailable. Odds of winning are determined by the total number of eligible respondents who complete the survey and the accuracy of predictions.
4. GENERAL. This survey and forecasting activity is governed by the laws of the United States, with venue in Seattle, Washington and all claims must be resolved in the courts of Washington State. By participating in the survey, respondents agree to release, discharge and hold harmless ISR, its owners, employees, agents, and service providers, from any damages which may arise out of participation in the survey or out of the acceptance, use, misuse or possession of prize. By participating in this survey, you consent to ISR's unrestricted use and disclosure, without any compensation or obligation to you, of any de-identified responses, predictions, ideas, or suggestions you provide in connection with this survey. By participating, respondents agree to these Official Rules and the decisions of ISR regarding prizes, which are final and binding in all respects. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Winner is responsible for any federal, state and local taxes.
5. CHANGES. We reserve the right to change the terms and conditions of this agreement as needed.
Copyright © 2008 Interdisciplinary Scientific Research, LLC. All rights reserved worldwide.